Friday, August 20, 2010

New School Year


School started this week… for all the kids. Two are now in college and one in 3rd grade, it doesn’t seem possible. I found myself getting all teary eyed when I watched my son go on his merry way to college. He was excited and joyful to go to school; it reminded me of his first day of preschool, kindergarten, middle school and high school. None of my kids have ever had a problem with going to school leaving Mom and the ‘nest’, if fact they have all run in headlong into the next adventure. I didn’t cry when he graduated from High school (ok I didn’t cry much) but some how him going to college gives me reason to pause and think about this little boy who is quickly becoming a Man, one that I am proud of, very proud. Now he has had the first week of college and he has found out that teachers don’t like it when you are late and that you have to read the college catalog to make sure you sign up for classes that don’t require a pre requisite, small lessons.

I think about the next few years, he will continue going to college and maybe even make it overseas to school. My daughter will get married and continue school. The youngest will continue happily along always working to do better. Meanwhile my eldest he will be working hard as well and I couldn’t be prouder of all of my kids, the three I have raised and the one that I didn’t have the privilege to raise but love just as much. The next couple of years will be ones of great change. When the kids were in school (regular school) things didn’t really change you know they changed teachers or schools but they were at home and all the issues were the same, but now they have other things to consider and broader choices. The family will change and in ways that makes me happy and sad at the same time.

I am the first of my group of friends to have kids that are old enough to move out and move on… its scary, fun, and a little lonely. I am not opposed to the kids growing up in fact I LOVE IT. I guess I am getting closer and closer to the time that I will need to figure out who I am without the kids. Where I fit in, hopefully I have done that to some degree. Identified who I am, I am not just a Mom, but more than that.

I still have time the youngest doesn’t even get out of High School for another nine years. :)

No comments: